A Dental Veneer is a thin layer of porcelain made to fit over the front surface of a tooth for cosmetic reasons. In layman terms, it’s like an artificial covering over a tooth surface. There are 2 types of Veneer:
Depending on the function and cost factor, your cosmetic dentist will choose which type of veneer is best for you.
Indications of Veneers:
- Discolored teeth
- Chipped-off/broken teeth
- Fill gaps between teeth
- Improve alignment of teeth
- General improvement of one’s smile
Contraindications of Veneers:
- Severe gum disease
- Weak enamel
- Poor oral hygiene
- Grinding of teeth or Bruxism
- Complex teeth alignment issues
Advantages of Veneers:
- Confident smile: Having a perfect smile line is a possibility with Veneers which in turn acts as a confidence booster.
- Conservative approach: When compared to Dental Crowns, Veneers need very little amount of tooth shaping.
- Customizable: Shape, size and shade of Veneers are highly customizable. You get what you ask for!
- Low maintenance: Porcelain Veneers are stain free and need low maintenance with daily brushing and flossing.
- High durability: Porcelain Veneers last for 10-15 years.
- Quick results: 2-3 visits are all it takes for the smile that you have always dreamed of.
- No age limit: It can be placed on individuals belonging to any age group.
Disadvantages of Veneers:
- Permanent loss of tooth structure: A thin layer of enamel is permanently taken off from the front side of the teeth. If not done correctly, it can lead to sensitive teeth.
- Tooth decay: Secondary decay/caries can occur underneath the Veneers if proper oral hygiene is not maintained.
- Staining and fracture: This is more common with composite Veneers.
- Strength: Veneers are not as strong as dental Crowns or your natural teeth.
- Dislodgement of Veneers: Though not common, patients are requested to avoid nail biting, chewing on ice; pencil; any hard objects, or otherwise put pressure on teeth with Veneers.
- Expensive: Porcelain Veneers are much more costly than Composite Veneers.
To know if you are the right candidate for Dental Veneers, Dr. Anitha Alageshan from Zen Orthodontic and Dental Care will help you make the decision.
For more information log on to: http://zendental.in