Who doesn’t want to have a beautiful smile? People all around the world love to have that dazzling and confident smile.
Your teeth are meant to stay life-long if taken proper care. But sadly even after following good oral hygiene measures and taking proper precautions they still get damaged by many factors like dental cavities, dental trauma or any particular disease. Also, with increasing age one can lose their teeth over the years. Earlier when teeth used to get decayed or damaged-people used to opt for removal of the tooth. But now, with recent advances people can save their natural teeth and also can replace the missing tooth. In such cases, Dental Crowns play an important role to restore the form and function of the natural tooth.
WHAT ARE DENTAL CROWNS?
Dental crowns are basically customised caps which are made according to the size, shape and shade of patients’ teeth and their requirements. They are placed over the remaining tooth structure to restore the shape, appearance and function of lost or damaged teeth.
WHO NEEDS A DENTAL CROWN?
- Your tooth has undergone root canal treatment which makes it brittle and may require crown.
- Your teeth have severely chipped off or cracked and aesthetically compromised, may need a dental crown.
- Your teeth are missing; you may need dental crown and/or bridge.
- Your tooth is decayed and become fragile even after filling, may require crown.
- You are planning to have dental implant- then you require crown post implant surgery.
- You have discoloured, distorted and/or crooked teeth, you may require crown.
WHAT ARE CROWNS MADE OF?
Materials commonly used to make dental crowns are:
- All ceramic – These are metal free crowns and are acceptable in many cases with its high strength and durability along with its high aesthetic-they assure you its longevity.
- Porcelain fused to metal– This crown has both metal and porcelain in it. It is most commonly used for back teeth even though it has good strength and durability it will not satisfy your aesthetic needs especially for your front teeth.
HOW MUCH TIME/VISIT IS REQUIRED FOR THE TREATMENT TO BE COMPLETE?
In every Dental procedure the most important thing is the treatment planning and it varies from person to person. Dental crowns normally gets completed in 2 visits.
1st visit – Dentist will trim your teeth to get proper shape on which the crown will be placed followed by impression and selection of shade.
2nd visit – Crown is fixed with the help of a luting/cementing agent.
Duration between the visits may vary from 2-5 working days. Sometimes a trial visit may be scheduled in-between these 2 visits.
DOES IT HURT DURING THIS PROCEDURE?
Normally the procedure is painless and requires no anaesthesia. Some patients may feel discomfort and sensitivity; in case its severe, local anaesthesia may be needed.
HOW CROWNS ARE FIXED ON TEETH!?
Crowns are fixed with proper cementation techniques. Materials used for cementation is specific according to the type of the crown.
IS THE CROWN VISIBLE? WILL IT BE DIFFERENT?
The purpose of the crown is to replicate your natural tooth according to the requirement of the patient. So depending upon the type and quality of the crown, we can’t easily distinguish between natural teeth and crowns.
DOES THE CROWN LAST-AND FOR HOW MANY YEARS?
Crowns do last for many years if taken proper care but sometimes they too can fall or become loose. So just like our teeth we have to exercise good oral hygiene for longevity of the crown. Regular dental check up and cleaning is advisable for all patients. Also for the patients who have the habit of clenching their teeth, it is advised to use night guard to avoid excessive force on the crown.
At ZEN DENTAL – Koramangala and Sarjapur we provide the best of the options for our patients when it comes to Dental Crowns. Affordability with quality is what we assure!! For appointments, call us at 9108918009